Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bus Booklet of Truth

Some of you may have noticed the section of the sidebar of this blog with the title "The Bus Booklet of Truth," and you may be wondering about that title. OK, probably not. But I'm going to attempt to provide some sort of explanation anyway. The story is likely about as complicated and incomprehensible as the story behind the name of this blog, and has certain other similarities as well.

Many years ago my friend Weston had in his possession a bus schedule booklet. Like many of these sorts of functional booklets, it had endured a certain amount of wear and tear. For reasons now lost to the mist of time, he decided to make this into the "Bus Booklet of Truth". What this meant is that the booklet became a repository of quotes we found of particular interest, or made up, or pretty much anything else we felt belonged. Various things were scribbled into margins and across pages. Frequently, he would solicit submissions from others, and soon the book had a reasonably extensive collection of writings that may or may not have justified the designation of truth.

Then we both left on our missions. The Bus Booklet of Truth was given into another's care. Not surprisingly, however, somewhere over the next two years it vanished into obscurity. Once we had both returned from our missions, a few different attempts were made to start anew, with new bus schedule booklets, but none of these ever acquired the diversity and extent of the original.

When I started this blog, I decided that it could also serve reasonably well as a next generation, online version of the book. I hope to continuously add to the list as time goes by. Any suggestions are welcome, either emailed, or added as comments to this post. I hope at the least it may provide an occasional interesting quote for those who wander by these pages...

3 comments:

Shellie said...

Holey moley! I got quoted? Probably someone else said it before me, though. What a cool idea though, the bus booklet, I mean. I liked the other quotes too! I'll look for some more for ya now and then,

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites is “The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them.” ~Xenocide By: Orson Scott Card

4boyzmdmom said...

Actually, I WAS wondering what that meant. Here's a good one I heard from a friend a few days ago. "When you're a mother, there are NO sick days." Here name is Suzanne Baird.